Thursday 15 October 2009

Handbook for the Recently Deceased

So the last few days have some strange ones. I've been ill but also been probably more productive when it comes to my future than ever before. After spending half the day in bed yesterday with some sort of cold/flu and missing two lessons because of it, I decided to get something done.
First task was to contact some people in the Animation industry. I've been worrying about exactly where I wanted to go with my degree (once i've finished) ever since our tutor mentioned it to us. So I typed up 5 emails to various different people and sent them out, eagerly waiting on the relpies for hours after that.

One to a 3D Animator in the US who had worked on some big titles including the Bioshock videogame. He was focused on cinematic animation for films and game trailers/cutscenes and this has recently been something i've been looking into and likely the career path i'd like to follow.
Another to Square Enix, the video game company who most famously develop the Final Fantasy game series and many other.
One to a UK-based 3D animator who has worked on quite a few well known advertisements and character animation projects.
And lastly, on to Blur studio, a Visual Effect studio that have worked on shows such as Heroes and one to one of their 3D animators that had particularly interested me.

I'd pretty much given up hope on getting any advice when the emails started coming in.

Firstly I heard from the guy who worked on Bioshock, Ryan. He was really helpful and had spent his time on a long letter detailing all the things I would have to know and what areas I would have to work on to make it in his area of the industry. I learnt a lot in the way of requirements and this also opened up a connection into the industry, which I was so pleased by! :)

Then I was sent an email from Square Enix which, although it was a generic sort of letter that was not so personal, it did highlight the requirements for working in their company, which was great to know.

Following this, I got some great advice from Sandra, the UK based animator, who told me the essentials for her area of animation and she said she would also like to keep in contact. Also, after seeing some of my portfolio, she said i'd make a great character designer XD which really made my day.

I'm still waiting on replies from the other two but still, 3/5 isn't bad :P

That was yesterday.. today was not so constructive.

I got up late, feeling ill again. After a morning trying to recover somewhat, I went to Uni and worked on my 3D animation project, which was going really well and I was pleased with.. but then 3DS Max.. that hellish program closed itself. It was like an oven in that room and I was too annoyed to stay so I came back and sulked if i'm honest :P

Better now and going to go to bed now as I have a life drawing class in the morning which should be good :) But that's me caught up.

I also watched the pilot episode for Dollhouse and it was awesome so I might have to get the DVD boxset tomorrow :) and not forgetting I watched the awesome fiom that is Beetlejuice which was bought the other day :D Burton's the man.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

chrisw45
Chris Wilson.. artist, tv and film enthusiast and soon-to-be animator.
View my complete profile

Followers

Counter