Monday 19 July 2010

Drawings...

Couldn't help but update a bit more before I sign out.

I recently got inspiration from an artist from DeviantArt. I know, there are loads of great artists on there but what really struck me about her was that she was around my age (maybe a couple of years older) and some of her work that was dated around 2006/07 really resembled my own. They were good but they lacked that painstaking attention to detail that she now has in her drawings. But now when I look at her recent pieces, I think, 'hey, I could actually be that good in a few years'. It will take a lot of practice, but luckily it's practice at something I love. I haven't drawn any realistic pieces for a long time due to my experiments with style and trying to move away from what I am good at and develop other skills. I realise now that that's probably the wrong thing to do so I attempted to draw a picture of Olivia Wilde, the stunning actress who plays Thirteen on Fox's House MD, one (of many) of the favourite american dramas I watch. I used a reference for it and after spending a lot of time building up some nice contrast in the picture, this is what I came up with:



Pretty good if I do say so myself. This set me on a mission to get better and after nice comments from people when I uploaded the picture to the web, I decided to draw another great character from an even better show. Sarah Michelle Gellar (if you didn't know, which you should if you're reading this, Buffy the Vampire Slayer). This one took a couple of days to finish, well evenings after I had finished work and it looked even better than the other picture. It might be one of the best pictures I have ever drawn and after comparing with older drawings you can really see the difference in depth and thus how realistic it is. Anyway, here are some work in progress pictures:



The face took my quite a while to get the right look for but after I finally got it to look like her, I started on the hair, which was by far the most time-consuming part of this picture. (Sorry about the different coloured photos, as you can probably tell it was well into the night when I finally pried the pencil from my hand hehe)



Some more hair.. and this is the finished piece, which I am so incredibly proud of :) I would love to see some comments on it and will be uploading many more pitures, possibly one from Supernatural next. I'm off to bed now but thanks for reading :)



G'night all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

chrisw45
Chris Wilson.. artist, tv and film enthusiast and soon-to-be animator.
View my complete profile

Followers

Counter